Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Macaron is the new cupcake

If, when you die, heaven asks: "and what was your favourite part about earth"...I will say, dessert! Any kind of dessert, ANY!

Not only do desserts look pretty, but they touch a part of your soul that, really, nothing else can.  So, after I consumed an entire row of Premium Plus crackers and about a quarter jar of Nutella, I found myself craving macarons!

These lovelies should not be confused with the macaroon, made of coconut and stuff:

But, where did these delightful decadences come from?

Well, the name macaron is derived from the Italian name for paste, "maccarone". During the Renaissance they were thought to have been popular in Venice and made a French debut in 1533 when Catherine of Siena married Henry II.

In the 1880s, the double-decker macaron we know today as the "Gerbet" macaron, filled with cream, was invented by the French pâtisserie Ladurée. (info from Wikipedia)

Either way they make my stomach happy and any occasion pretty.

 This site has a very special entry on macarons. 
How about some Macaron jewelry???

Bobbette & Belle must have the BEST macarons in Toronto.  Retail, they sell their macarons at Holt Renfrew Cafe on Bloor St., or you can contact Bobbette & Belle directly to place an order for your next special occasion:


And if you find yourself in France...stop by Ladurée for the best macarons in the world.

Oh and I cant leave without an ode to my two favourite things in the world:

Tomorrow...I will continue with the wonderful world of dessert and my dedication to Marie Antoinette.

Till next time,
Pink and Sparkles
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails