Sunday, August 22, 2010

Siena - the great!

By far my favourite CITY in Italy. As you may have read here, my favourite province in Italy is Tuscany and within that is the medieval city of Siena.  I went to Siena in 2004 for the summer to study Art History with my university.

Siena was founded by the Etruscans between 900 - 400 BC and is considered by UNESCO as a world heritage site.  The city still maintains its medieval history by being divided into 17 wards, or contrade.  Each contrada has its own rich history and set of traditions.  Every year, the contrade compete in a horse race unique to Siena called Il Palio di Siena. The contrade race bareback and dressed in their appropriate contrade colours.  The race resides in the city's Campo (or main piazza) and they parade and party like I've never seen before.  The winner's contrada parties for WEEKS after the win. Its insane!


I cannot say enough good things about this city - you need to go.  Here are some shots from our recent trip....

On the train ride to Siena!...

Il Campo...

One of many alleyways...

Can't believe this...we went for lunch near my old dormitory in our contrada - Snail (Ciocciola) and the drummers (for the Palio parade) were rehearsing!!!!....

View from my old dorm garden...

See the window at the top with the blue towel hanging...that was my dorm room with my best friend Ashley...

Another view from the dormitory garden...


Me....

Siena is HILLY as hell....this is me going up the hill outside of the dorm...

This was the street the dorm was on...

This sign says "Confines of the Snail Contrada"....every contrada had these signs on their walls - differing according to the appropriate contrada of course...

Church in Siena....Santa Maria Assunta (Most Holy Mary of the Assumption)... That is black and white marble...Siena's city colours...

Il Campo...


Bibo....Awesome bar we would get coffee in the morning, Piedine at lunch and the occasional late-night snack...

Bibo...

I know this looks like a pita with spinach and cheese but its NOT...Piedine are special sandwiches made of some flat focaccia bread, spinach and ricotta (well, this one) there are so many varieties...they make me happy and I can only find the good ones in Italy, Siena and Rimini in particular...


Now that I'm hungry........I gotta get outta here and try to recreate this!!!

Till next time,

Pink and Sparkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails